Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics (WWL) firmly believes in a sustainable approach to business by taking conscious action to promote environmental stewardship, social responsibility and ethical business conduct. The company prioritises sustainability not just because it is morally right, but also because sustainability is fundamental for long term value creation. The group sees sustainability as a driver for business development and growth. In taking this approach, WWL is also committed to complying with all relevant environmental, social and business ethics regulations, aiming to be a step ahead of existing and emerging requirements; and to meet the increasing demand for sustainability transparency and performance expectations of its stakeholders.
Reflecting this view is the ‘Lean:Green’ environmental strategy that was adopted early in WWL’s first year of operation: Striving for what is both economic and sustainable will produce the best long-term results for people, profits and the planet. The strategy is being pursued through the following Lean:Green approach:
- Drive progress through initiatives that are both lean and green
- Focus on high impact changes, for both people and the environment
- Engage in regulatory processes; lobbying for environmentally sound global outcomes
- Invest in and support ‘Lean:Green’ technologies; partner to find sustainable solutions
- Embrace transparency; be visible and be credible
- Harness sustainability track record and competence to create commercial value
Sustainability efforts at WWL are categorised into four globally relevant focus areas, which offer strategic direction and encompass all sustainability topics that are material to the company.
Focus areas (Click image to zoom)
These four focus areas also provide the structure for information included in this report, prepared and disclosed in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards: Core option.